Sugar vs. Salt
(a ONE PIECE fanfiction by rika)


I really did think that it would be better if it was sweet.

Mother had always made them with salt. And they tasted good. But I always thought that it would taste better if it was sweet, just like the custard pudding that she makes for dessert.

So, when that tall swordsman -- his name was Zoro -- saved me by attacking that rabid wolf, I knew I had to try.

He put his own life on the line when he pulled his sword out and stood between me and Helmeppo's wolf. He got caught, and was left without food in the Marines' base, with both arms tied in something that looked like a crucifix.

And he wouldn't be there if it wasn't for me.

The only thing I could do was to give him food. It was the least that I could do.

It was the only thing that I could do.

So, I did my darndest to make him rice-balls. I never made anything before, but I tried. And, with my belief that it would be better sweet, I sprinkled it with sugar and not salt.

I then used all of my strength, and climbed over the wall to see him.

But that was the last thing that went according to plan. He told me to go away. He told me that he didn't want it. He even told me that he would stomp me to death.

I was hurt.

But then, it was all part of him being nice. I realized that when that evil evil Helmeppo barged in and grabbed a rice-ball. He bit into one, and spat it out, saying I was supposed to use salt. I knew that. But I also thought that it would be better sweet.

My heart broke when Helmeppo grabbed the two rice balls that I had made, and stomped them into the ground. It was the only thing I could do for this green-haired swordsman, and Helmeppo ruined it. Just because we all feared his dad. And he made one of his men throw me over the wall.

I was caught by a young man that seemed to be in the mid-teens. He wore a red vest, denim shorts, and a straw hat. If he didn't catch me, I don't know how many bones I would have broken. And his friend (who seemed more like my age) asked if I was all right, and walked me home.

After a while, the young man in the straw hat joined us. He told me that the swordsman picked the rice-balls off the ground and ate both pieces, dirt and all -- and that he relayed a message. My heart jumped with joy when I heard the message from the young swordsman:

It was delicious. Thanks for the food.

Right after that, Helmeppo was walking around town saying how he was going to execute Zoro the swordsman. The young man in the straw hat, whose name was Luffy, stood in front of Helmeppo after hearing that. The other boy, Coby, tried to stop Luffy, but Luffy trudged on and slugged Helmeppo.

Luffy was hitting Helmeppo for Zoro's sake.
But, I felt as if he was doing it for me.


I had felt as if a huge weight was being lifted from my shoulders. My heart felt much lighter than when it was driven into the ground with my rice-balls. But I couldn't stay happy for long.

My mother had heard the commotion outside, and forced me back into the house. She said that Helmeppo would kill me if he thought I was friends with the young man named Luffy, and that I shouldn't even go near the swordsman named Zoro for the same reason....

I got to see the two young men one more time. It was after they defeated Morgan and his whole crew. Mother was kind enough to feed them. She said it was nothing compared to what they had done for us by restoring peace and order to our town. To that, I agree.

As the two young men decided to depart, Coby decided to stay with us. His said that his dream was to be a commander in the Marines. I'm sure that someday he will be a good commander, and that he will see Luffy's fleet again someday. Perhaps as enemies, perhaps as old friends.

In either case, I'll be waiting for the reunion.

I'll be waiting with rice-balls.
But next time, I'll use salt.



-fin-

<< backing up: one level / two levels
<< menu
author / manga / anime / novel / sound / etc << marine
synops / chara / terms / fan / links / bbs&ml << pirate